Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Wags-How To

I figured I should explain some of this stuff just in case you don't visit Walgreens as much as I do! These explanations are probably too long, but hopefully it will clear up any confusion. Wags is easy once you get the hang of it, but there are some terms and conditions that will make my Wags scenarioes much easier to understand

Wags/CanIGetItForFree Lingo
RR
– Register Reward – may be used like cash on your next purchase
FAR – free after rebate
BOGO – buy one get one
OOP – Out of Pocket
MIR - Mail in Rebate (from manufacturer - not ESC)
Peelie – coupon that is (hopefully) sticking to the product
IP – internet printable coupon
YTD-year to date

Register Rewards explained:
**RRs may be used like cash on your next purchase, however...
**RRs are "coupons" and you must have as many items (or more) as coupons. If you have 5 items and a manufacturer coupons for each item - and you want to use RRs to reduce your out of pocket, pick up an item for each RR you want to use. Look in the ad for in-ad coupons like 8 pencils for $1 (you don't have to buy 8 - just get enough for your RRs) or pick up a candy bar to fix your coupon to item count.
**RRs expire 2 weeks from the date your purchased the item.
**If an RR deal requires that you buy x amount of products or spend x amount of $$ to receive the RR, you must buy all the products in one transaction (CVS keeps track with your card so you can spread your transactions out).

X/XX coupons explained:
Wags puts out $5 off $25 purchase pretty often and I find it VERY exciting! They usually post them on the front page of their website - and I'll be sure to let you know when it happens! The fine print on the coupon usually states that the total must be $25 after manufacturer coupons, but really, this is not the case. The total must be $25 after Walgreens coupons and really that's all that matters (but if you get a cashier that is a fine-print-reader then you may be out of luck...just drive to the next Wags down the street...or just go with it, whatever). You want to ring up all your products, then hand over your Wags coupons, then give them the $5 off coupon (if it's less than $25 before the $5 coupon throw a candy bar in), then hand over all your manufacturer coupons and RRs. Since I get most items for free that I buy at Wags, I often use the $5 coupon to print pictures and buy fun toys for the kid!

BOGO free explained:
If a store sale is BOGO free, you may use a BOGO free coupon on those two items. Technically you are buying one, but then...you're kind of not...and you get them both for free. blah - it works. If a store sale is BOGO and you have two $1 off coupons or something, you might be able to use both, you never really know - just cross your fingers and see if it scans.
If you have a COUPON (not a sale) that is BOGO free , you may use that coupon, plus an additional coupon for the one item you 'bought.' For example you have a Covergirl coupon that is buy one get one free, you may use that and a $1 coupon for the item you "bought." Clear as mud?

Let me know if I missed anything or if you have any questions!

4 comments:

Healthy Chelle said...

Very helpful! I just watched a segment on GMA about coupon parties and I was a little bit overwhelmed. I didn't realize until this morning that you could use a store coupon and a manufacturers coupon.

Another tip I am still trying to figure out is if you have a $5 off $25 coupon you should use it as soon as your total hits $25, then submit all your other coupons at the end.

Not sure if I totally understand why that is a better deal.

I think I could get obsessed with this. Glad you're here to make it easier. :)

Healthy Chelle said...

Question -

If a product is BOGO and I have two coupons, can I use them both?

Hope I'm not driving you nuts!

Betsy said...

Yes, as long as it is a store coupon, you may use them with manufacturers coupons. One example of that for February is the Pert Plus. There is a $1 EasySaver Coupon and $1 manufacturer coupon (check the monthly Wags post for the free rebate also)

The $5 off of $25 is a tricky tricky coupon (but I love it and make lots of Excel graphs to figure out my scenarios!). I'll go back to the post and add info.

BOGO sales and BOGO coupons are an interesting breed also - I'll ad more info in the post.

You are not driving me nuts - I LOVE this stuff!

Healthy Chelle said...

Thanks for the updates!

After stressing myself out for a while yesterday, I decided I will just start fresh with this Sunday's paper.

I look forward to using your helpful hints!